Basye/Orkney Springs Community Library, a station of the Shenandoah County Library, was established in 1993 by a group of volunteers. Volunteers continue to operate the library, which is open Monday through Saturday from 10:00 am to 2:00 pm and also on Tuesday from 4:30 to 6:30 pm.
Area residents may obtain a county library card by applying through the Shenandoah County Library System’s website at:
The mission of the Basye/Orkney Springs Community Library is to:
- Provide area residents with access to needed information and materials and offer visitors reading materials and information on local activities;
- Coordinate library activities with area churches and community organizations;
- Provide children’s programs as part of the library’s activities during Bryce Resort’s July 4 BryceFest and other resort activities;
- Maintain a staff of trained volunteers who can assist patrons and visitors in using the library system’s resources and provide information about local activities;
- Provide a wide selection of audio and video materials; and
- Ensure safety for patrons visiting the library.
Books and more!
Although small, the library provides to all Basye-Orkney Springs area property owners and visitors a wide selection of fiction, non-fiction, audio books, DVDs, and reference materials, as well as an extensive collection of information about local history and attractions. Free Internet access is also available during library hours at four computer terminals, while wireless access is available around the clock.
- A fax machine is available for sending and receiving faxes;
- A photocopy machine is available for public use;
- Printing is available from the library’s computers; and
- The library offers children’s summer reading programs and children’s nature programs.
Periodicals and Databases
The library subscribes to USA Today and the Wall Street Journal. Donated magazines covering many topics are also available.
The library’s computer system provides several free databases and subscription programs that would otherwise be expensive for most people to access. Examples are:
- Genealogy research services through Ancestry.com and Heritage Quest Online;
- Foreign language teaching tool Mango;
- PA4 Antiques database (widely used by appraisers and auction houses);
- The Learning Express Library, which helps users study for the GED or prepare for the SAT and the ACT, and other educational tests;
- NetLibrary, for downloading books and audio books.
- Morningstar, a financial research tool; and
- Several other online general research programs.
Used Books for Sale
The library’s “Back Room” used-book sales room features a constantly changing variety of fiction and non-fiction books. The room’s hundreds of volumes of books are organized by author or by topic, making it easy for readers to find titles of interest. Donations for these books help the library pay its monthly rent to Bryce Resort.