The mission of the Shenandoah County Library System is to enrich the quality of life in the community by providing residents with access to the world of ideas, information and creative experience.
The Library anticipates and responds to the community’s needs for information; develops and maintains an environment where lifelong habits of learning, self-improvement, and self-expression are encouraged; and offers patrons a place to meet their educational, informational and recreational needs.
• To meet or exceed the single “A” level of the Virginia Public Library Standards contained in the Library of Virginia’s Planning for Library Excellence.
• To provide access to a balanced range of library resources and services that meet the information and recreational needs of the community in a timely manner.
• To promote the information literacy of patrons so that effective use is made of the library’s resources.
• To actively promote the use of library services and facilities through programs and activities aimed at increasing public awareness of both with particular emphasis on children and young adults.
• To preserve and share across generations the wisdom, culture and history of our community.
• To use technology both to increase the effectiveness of library operations and to enhance access to library materials, information, and services.
• To actively cooperate with other libraries, schools, and community agencies and groups in the delivery of library services.
February 18, 2009