The Library anticipates and responds to the community’s needs for information; develops and maintains an environment where lifelong habits of learning, self-improvement, and self-expression are encouraged; and offers patrons a place to meet their educational, informational and recreational needs.
• To meet or exceed the single “A” level of the Virginia Public Library Standards contained in the Library of Virginia’s Planning for Library Excellence.
• To provide access to a balanced range of library resources and services that meet the information and recreational needs of the community in a timely manner.
• To promote the information literacy of patrons so that effective use is made of the library’s resources.
• To actively promote the use of library services and facilities through programs and activities aimed at increasing public awareness of both with particular emphasis on children and young adults.
• To preserve and share across generations the wisdom, culture and history of our community.
• To use technology both to increase the effectiveness of library operations and to enhance access to library materials, information, and services.
• To actively cooperate with other libraries, schools, and community agencies and groups in the delivery of library services.
February 18, 2009